« Home | Qi Dian Concert... Success! » | 3 weeks of waiting.... » | Somewhere Over The Rainbow » | Song Update: 心像雨 » | CoSy Music is now CoSy tuNes » | CoSy Music is Up... » | My CoSy Friends » | My CoSy Links » | About CoSy tuNes » | My CoSy tuNes (Pop) »

Performer vs Instrumentalist

wEnt to ai Qin Hai ming ge can ting yesterday... we were a quite a big grp.. joining like 4 tables and occupying a gd view of the stage... at first, i was kind of disappointed cuz there were only 2 performers for the nite... but i was overwhelmed eventually... and amazed by the talent tt laid in front of my eyes...

both performers are singers cum guitarists, malaysians, both having fully resonating voice... at first i din gave them much attention.. but as they sang more and more of the higher difficulty songs... and looking at how well they pulled it off... i really got to give it to them...

some memorable songs
- heaven knows
- ru guo ni hai ai wo
- xiao zheng gu niang
- jiang nan
- shen bian
- shao nian
- shan hu hai
- fa ru xue
- kiss goodbye
- some hokkien songs (mayday)
- some cantonese songs ( leo ku)
- many many....

knowing how to play an instrument is not enough.... playing accompaniment at right tempo, right emphasis is also not good enough....

there is some extra ingredients... one which separates someone who is just a plain instrumentalist from a performer that shines...

1. desire
2. confidence
3. ability
4. attitude

as i took the stage to sing my own song (when the performance is over), i realised there was anxiety not excitement.... my confidence started to break down... somehow... i feel rather shy.... and this I think is lethal to any performer..... feeling restricted, uncomfortable unnecessarily will only make the audience awkward as a result...

as i observe my own voice.... it is seriously lacking in creating that wonderfully resonating, open throat sound.... it lacks spaciousness... much of the effort may be going to the wrong direction...

i hope to be more fluid in my transitions, more spacious in my high notes, more feeling in my expression, more accurate in hitting my notes, more rounded when finishing every line...

keep working! aspire to be a 'performer'!